Staging, or presenting, your home for sale is absolutely critical if you are to achieve top dollar and sell it in the fastest possible time frame.
It has been said that the home we sell often contrasts with the one we actually live in.
What that statement really means is that homes ideally need to be presented in a way that will appeal to the widest possible cross-section of qualified potential buyers.
This essentially means taking the "you" out of the way your home looks.
Decluttering your rooms and ensuring they are decorated in neutral color schemes, as well as taking out personalized items like family photos and any items demonstrating your favorite sports teams, for example, makes it much easier for potential buyers viewing your home to be able to envision themselves living there.
The importance of this shouldn't be underestimated. It's reckoned that only around 10% of home buyers can see beyond what's in front of them and imagine what they could do to the house.
First impressions are very important, of course, so attention needs to be paid to the "curb appeal" of your home, which means neat and tidy lawns and an immaculate external appearance, to match the improvements you've made indoors.
Here are some great staging tips that will cost you nothing, or next to it:
- Hang generic pictures, rather than family-specific ones.
- Disguise any worn out furniture.
- Create room layouts that encourage social interaction between family and friends.
- Ensure your bathrooms and kitchen are especially attractive.
- De-clutter all rooms to help accentuate the floor flow of the property.
- Don't hide your clutter in one room - your potential buyers will want to see that room too!
- Ensure the house is filled with fresh air and doesn't feel stuffy.
- Attention to detail with house cleaning is vital.
- Use finishing touches such as bright tablecloths and fresh flowers.
There's no need to feel you on your own in this process. Advice on staging is something we offer to all our clients and it gets results.
Feel free to contact us today if you'd like some specific tips on how to ready your home for sale.